“The results are definitely there, and we felt that we had a great level of support to help us make the transition. We have grown the company nearly 300% since we began with SYSPRO over seven years ago – and we feel confident that we have the right partner to continue our rapid growth.”
– Accounting Manager, Bodypoint, Inc.
Bodypoint, Inc. is a classic American success story. Founded in 1991, the company develops and manufactures well-crafted, highly functional products for people using wheelchairs. Recognizing the close physical connection between a wheelchair and its user, Bodypoint wheelchair positioning products are designed to enhance postural support, encourage independence, and ultimately enable wheelchair users to reach their full potential.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, the company sells hundreds of products, many of which are patented original designs, to people throughout the world. Company co-founder David Hintzman states on the company’s website: “At Bodypoint, we work every day to better understand the capabilities and aspirations of people who use wheelchairs. As we imagine, design and manufacture our products, we strive to bridge the gap between the hard and the soft, the inanimate and the living, to create a better connection between wheelchairs and people.”
For 10 years, Bodypoint operated its business on QuickBooks. With a large and growing inventory of diversified products and growing geographic expansion, Bodypoint outgrew QuickBooks’ capabilities. Specifically, Bodypoint experienced the following obstacles using QuickBooks:
- Data integration/reporting issues – a database asset system that could manage inventory control and order entry, but that did not fully integrate with accounting. This required duplicate manual entries.
- Scaling/growth issues – As the company’s inventory and user community grew, its operations became more resource- intensive. The QuickBooks shortfalls did not support a strategy for implementing new processes that would yield greater productivity from Bodypoint workers.
- Reporting issues – the general lack of IT system integration/collaboration limited the ability of Bodypoint management to keep track of changing operational needs and opportunities. The lack of synergy made it almost impossible to identify areas that required immediate action or attention.
Bodypoint knew it had outgrown QuickBooks and hired a consultant to help with the search to find a more robust back office technology solution. Over a six-month period, the company reviewed several ERP solutions available to the mid-market manufacturing and distributions market, and ultimately selected SYSPRO.
The SYSPRO software implementation integrated all Bodypoint departments – including sales, accounting, manufacturing, purchasing, inventory and shipping – under one IT umbrella. With all company departments fully integrated, company management had the ability to make rapid, effective decisions utilizing real-time data.
The SYSPRO software implementation integrated all Bodypoint departments – including sales, accounting, manufacturing, purchasing, inventory and shipping – under one IT umbrella. With all company departments fully integrated, company management had the ability to make rapid, effective decisions utilizing real-time data. Today, using SYSPRO, Bodypoint has implemented new efficiencies that have made a substantial and financially measurable impact to its operations.
Specifically, over a seven-year period Bodypoint estimates almost $400,000 in bottom-line operational savings via a substantial reduction in manual entry programs tied to both accounting and shipping. The company also identified other additional operational improvements that have favorably impacted its top and bottom lines of financial performance.
“Our SYSPRO system always has all the answers we need; we can get any data we want or need out of the system for any financial or operational reporting purpose,” says Accounting Manager Dara Sayaphouthone.“We had too many systems before, and QuickBooks was not able to bring everything we needed together in one place. Nor could it enable the integration and flexibility we needed to consider new business actions.”
Bodypoint particularly appreciates the following capabilities of SYSPRO:
- Customization capabilities – Bodypoint has leveraged SYSPRO’s flexible and open architecture to personalize its SYSPRO application to several unique elements of the business, including:
- Order Management – Automated language identification for instruction manual inclusion/shipping, replacing a cumbersome manual ‘flagging’ process that added extra steps;
- Invoicing – Automated daily invoicing, averaging 500 or more per week, that used to require approximately 40 hours a month of manual labor; and
- Financial Reconciliation – Automated reconciliation between bank statements and internal financials, which has been reduced to a 15-minute ‘quick review’ operation.
- Data collection capabilities – “Using SYSPRO, we can easily see and compare anything from our operations, activities, etc., for any time period,” Sayaphouthone says.
- Customer support and service – Moving from one software solution to another always requires a learning curve and change.“While change is never easy, gaining the operational efficiencies and growth support was worth it,” states Sayaphouthone.“The results are definitely there, and we felt that we had a great level of support to help us make the transition. We have grown the company nearly 300% since we began with SYSPRO over seven years ago – and we feel confident that we have the right partner to continue our rapid growth.”